- Brexit is now a reality, although its impact remains unclear. Abbie Rumbold provides our predictions for charities and social enterprises during the transition period and beyond;
- We have a special focus on preventing charity fraud from the Charity Commission’s Head of Development, Counter Fraud and Cyber crime, Alan Bryce;
- Lucy McLynn advises employers to be very cautious about suspending employees where there are concerns about their conduct;
- Navigating the rules around protecting children’s data is not an easy task. Mairead O’Reilly outlines some of the headline rules;
- Mindy Jhittay provides the first in a series of articles about transgender inclusion and the questions we are most frequently asked by our clients;
- We review the impact of the Modern Slavery Act with an interview with two experts in the field – Andrew Wallis OBE and Dr Anjali Mazumder. Oliver Scutt and Yvett Talas find out more;
- In our regular client focus, we look at the work of Stephen Lloyd Awards winner, Breadwinners;
- Amanda Gray from our Real Estate team takes a look at the key stages of your property life cycle;
- In our fundraising focus, Emma Dowden-Teale and Charlotte Blackbourn remind charities how to deal with complaints in line with the Code of Fundraising Practice;
- We have seen a recent increase in the number of investigations being carried out by HMRC in relation to charities making payments overseas. Augustus Della-Porta and Stephanie Biden explain;
- Lucy Rhodes highlights what’s involved when charities look to change from an unincorporated to an incorporated structure;
- Our governance consultant, Tesse Akpeki, explains how best to put behaviour theory into practice within your organisation;
- Bill Lewis writes to the prime minister with a post-Brexit VAT wish list for the sector;
- And finally, there’s our usual Charity Commission round up from Claire Whittle, Emma Dowden-Teale, Danielle Mawer and Katy Sawyer.
If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised in this Update, please contact our Charity team.
This information is necessarily of a general nature and doesn’t constitute legal advice. This is not a substitute for formal legal advice, given in the context of full information under an engagement with Bates Wells.
All content on this page is correct as of March 3, 2020.