- Brexit is now a reality, although its impact remains unclear. Abbie Rumbold provides our predictions for charities and social enterprises during the transition period and beyond;
- We have a special focus on preventing charity fraud from the Charity Commission’s Head of Development, Counter Fraud and Cyber crime, Alan Bryce;
- Lucy McLynn advises employers to be very cautious about suspending employees where there are concerns about their conduct;
- Navigating the rules around protecting children’s data is not an easy task. Mairead O’Reilly outlines some of the headline rules;
- Mindy Jhittay provides the first in a series of articles about transgender inclusion and the questions we are most frequently asked by our clients;
- We review the impact of the Modern Slavery Act with an interview with two experts in the field – Andrew Wallis OBE and Dr Anjali Mazumder. Oliver Scutt and Yvett Talas find out more;
- In our regular client focus, we look at the work of Stephen Lloyd Awards winner, Breadwinners;
- Amanda Gray from our Real Estate team takes a look at the key stages of your property life cycle;
- In our fundraising focus, Emma Dowden-Teale and Charlotte Blackbourn remind charities how to deal with complaints in line with the Code of Fundraising Practice;
- We have seen a recent increase in the number of investigations being carried out by HMRC in relation to charities making payments overseas. Augustus Della-Porta and Stephanie Biden explain;
- Lucy Rhodes highlights what’s involved when charities look to change from an unincorporated to an incorporated structure;
- Our governance consultant, Tesse Akpeki, explains how best to put behaviour theory into practice within your organisation;
- Bill Lewis writes to the prime minister with a post-Brexit VAT wish list for the sector;
- And finally, there’s our usual Charity Commission round up from Claire Whittle, Emma Dowden-Teale, Danielle Mawer and Katy Sawyer.
If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised in this Update, please contact our Charity team.
All content on this page is correct as of March 3, 2020.