- Setting up an entity in the US - including “Friends of Funds”.
- Alternatives to setting up in the US: for example, using intermediaries (eg CAF or Global Giving) or fiscal sponsorship.
- Direct giving by US individuals to UK charities.
- US tax treatment of UK charities.
- IRS tightening of filing requirements for UK charities.
- Recent automatic revocation of tax–exempt status for UK charities that had obtained US exempt status
The seminar will conclude with a panel discussion including a dialogue on the similarities and differences between US and UK regulators.
Lindsay Driscoll, Consultant at BWB, Chair of the International Centre for Not-for-Profit Law and former Charity Commissioner will join the Panel.
4:30pm – 5:00pm Registration
5:00pm – 5:10pm Welcome : Rosamund McCarthy, Partner BWB
5:10pm – 5:50pm Michael Durham, Caplin & Drysdale
5:50pm – 6:05pm Stephen Lloyd: Social Investment
6:05pm – 6.45pm Panel discussion : Rosamund McCarthy, Michael Durham, Stephen Lloyd, Lindsay Driscoll
6.45pm – 8.00pm Drinks