Anthony has over 25 years’ experience acting for commercial, charity and private clients on all aspects of transactions concerning commercial property. For example, he is involved in the acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold property – including overage arrangements – development work, and charging and finance. Anthony advises on landlord and tenant work, such as granting and taking new leases, licenses and dilapidations, and also on corporate property transactions: amalgamations, mergers, asset sales and purchases. He has a particular expertise in telecoms.
Chambers UK reports that Anthony is “good at explaining complex issues with clarity” as well as “approachable and responsive”.
Examples of recent work
- Acting for clients taking premises in the Shard and the Gherkin
- Purchasing new substantial property in Leeds and advising on the fit out of that property for a medical insurer
- Advising banking charity on new headquarter premises in Central London.
- Acting for a French state-owned gas company on new headquarter premises in London
- Acting for three sports clubs in the London area, formalising letting arrangements with the landlord and settling funding documentation
- Acting for a residential care provider on its portfolio of properties
- Sale of a number of Grade I and II listed properties for a major charity
- Acting for a liquidator on a portfolio sale of 17 investment properties (including some in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
- Acting for several clients with a nationwide presence and the taking of leases for their businesses and managing the property portfolios
Qualifications and career
- LLB (Hons)
- Admitted as a solicitor in 1983
- Partner at Speechly Bircham, 1989
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite as a partner in 1996
Pro bono, memberships and appointments
- Director of Colley Wood Syndicate
- Committee member Commercial Real Estate Legal Association
- Member of Charities’ Property Association