I have wide-ranging experience of public and regulatory law. I have worked with a diverse range of clients including public and private sector bodies, charities and individuals.
I regularly advise on complying with statutory obligations, decision making and challenges (including judicial review and public procurement claims) and drafting and following sound policies and procedures.
I have a particular interest in equality law, constitutional law, health and social care, public procurement, public inquiries and inquests, charities and education. I also have knowledge of data protection and freedom of information law. I am a qualified Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts, Civil Proceedings).
When I’m not working for Bates Wells, I am completing a PhD at Queen Mary, University of London, considering whether equality protections have constitutional status in the UK. She is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.
- I represented two NHS bodies in separate judicial review claims before the High Court.
- I defended 10 contracting authorities in a claim against a combined public procurement exercise run by them.
- I assisted with the transfer of functions from one statutory regulator to a new statutory regulator, including advising on the new legislation.
- I represented a public body in a First Tier Tribunal (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber) case.
- I’ve advised a charity in relation to a potential investigation by the Charity Commission.
- I assisted clients to respond to Freedom of Information requests.
- I have advised a disabled claimant on an equality claim in the High Court.
- I represented a public body in an independent review of the role its activities played in a public scandal.
- I advised on the application of the public sector equality duty in the health context.
- I assisted a public body to draft its constitution.
- I have challenged a procurement exercise run by a public body.
- I advised a public body on the closure of a service.
- I assisted a public body to understand the application of an EU freedom of movement directive to its activities.
- I have represented a public body in a judicial review of a statutory consultation exercise run by it.
- I have given training clients on the new General Data Protection Regulation.
- I represented the claimants in an appeal of a judicial review claim in the Supreme Court.