Tom is a solicitor with experience in advising commercial organisations, charities, social enterprises and public bodies, both in private practice and in-house. Tom specialises in commercial real estate, including general landlord and tenant matters, disposals and acquisitions, mergers, education, energy and renewables, telecommunications and banking and security.
Examples of Recent Work
Charity, Social Enterprise and Public
- Advised a think tank in relation to the sale of one of its properties in east London for £2.5m.
- Advised a regulatory authority on the surrender of a long lease and a new sub-underlease of office premises in the City at an annual rent of over £500,000.
- Advised The Fitzrovia Chapel Foundation in relation to its long lease of the Grade II* listed Fitzrovia Chapel which underwent a £2m refurbishment as part of the Fitzroy development in Fitzrovia, which was created out of the former Middlesex Hospital site.
- Assisted a social policy think tank take an assignment of a lease of office premises in central London.
- Advised a national charity in respect of the sale of one of its properties, including negotiating overage terms for the client.
- Corporate and Commercial
- Advised an international company in relation to the surrender of its existing lease and the grant of its new lease of office premises in central London.
- Assisted Element Materials Technology Holding UK with the real estate due diligence in respect of the £44.5 million acquisition of TRaC Global Limited, a specialist testing business.
- Assisted Schleuniger Holding AG with the real estate aspects of its acquisition of a 20 per cent stake in LW Solutions Ltd, a manufacturer of laser wire stripping machines for the stripping of insulation from high-tech cables and wires
- Advised Blenheim Natural Resources Plc in relation to the real estate aspects of its acquisition of a 27.17 per cent investment stake in IGS (International Geoscience Services) Limited.
- Assisted with the property aspects of the creation of several different multi-academy trusts, including dealing with the land transfers on the conversion of community schools and PRUs.
- Advised two separate multi-academy trusts with the transfer of a number of academies to other multi-academy trusts (being some of the first transfers of their kind).
- Advised a further education provider in respect of a new telecoms lease at one of its sites.
- Assisted an academy trust with the grant of an underlease of part of its school site to another education provider.
- Banking and Security
- Assisted a bank with property due diligence in relation to the security being taken over a number of properties in respect of a £5.3m facility.
- Advised a private bank in relation to taking security over a residential property in respect of a £7.65m facility.
- Advised a community group in relation to a hydro scheme in Wales.
- Assisted a social enterprise with a number of air space solar panel leases across a number of maintained schools in Oxfordshire.
Qualifications and Career
- The University of Sheffield, Law LLB, 2002-2005;
- The College of Law, York, Legal Practice Course, 2005-2006;
- Trainee solicitor at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, London, 2008-2010;
- Qualified as a solicitor, 2010;
- Solicitor at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP, London, 2010-2013;
- Secondment to Royal Mail, London, 2013;
- Solicitor at Basildon Borough Council, 2013-2014;
- Joined Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2014;
- Time out travelling, 2018-2019;
- Returned to Bates Wells Braithwaite, 2019.
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Member of Bates Wells Braithwaite Diversity and Inclusion Forum