I am a Solicitor in the Real Estate department and act on a broad range of commercial property transactions and matters in the charity, commercial and education sectors. I joined Bates Wells in August 2019 from Stone King where I trained and qualified.
I am experienced in charity acquisitions, disposals, landlord & tenant matters, re-structuring and incorporations. I have also advised academies and independent schools extensively on property matters such as academy conversions, academy transfers/restructuring, PFI projects, establishment of Free Schools, capital projects, acquisitions/disposals and development.
In the commercial sector I have acted on a wide variety of matters including landlord & tenant (acting on both sides), freehold sales, corporate restructuring, development and re-financing / secured lending (for both borrower and lender).
- I have acted for a charity set up to restore a stately home, leasing part of the grounds to an opera charity to raise funds for renovation, and obtaining conditional planning permission as part of the process. This long-term project received considerable press coverage and also involved an agreement for works for construction of the opera theatre, two s.106 agreements, a licence for use of the house/grounds, s.278 and s.38 Highways Agreements and a substation lease. I have also acted on another opera theatre project, representing a charitable foundation in taking a lease and granting an underlease, loan and entering into a development agreement with the undertenant opera company.
- I have acted for a foreign property investor on a redevelopment and refinancing project for a property in the West End I also acted on three high value leases (and corresponding conditional contracts and agreements for works) for a grade 1 listed court house, and subsequent refinancing (fixed charges and debentures) with the bank to raise funds for further redevelopment of this property.
- I have acted for an academy trust and unincorporated charity landowner on a capital project involving a loan agreement and charge with the Department for Education for construction funding for new facilities on a school site, which required converting the school to an academy from independent status for this purpose. This matter involved many complexities and much negotiation surrounding the security over the land, the occupational arrangements and status of the land as publically funded.
- Acted on the incorporation of a Jewish faith charity and complex restructuring of freehold ownership of a London property.
- Acted for a community amateur sports club on the renewal of their lease at a stadium and running track in West London.
- Acted for a residential care home provider in a corporate business (asset) acquisition and purchase of a freehold site.
- I have drafted and completed Farm Business Tenancies and grazing licences on behalf of a charity.
- Assisted with lease variations as part of a complex contentious right of way matter.
- Acted on a redevelopment of a school and its sports facilities.
- Acted for a PLC property investor on the acquisition of a site for residential development, and subsequent sale with planning permission.