Recently retiring as the Chief Executive of the UK Electoral Commission, I have for many years worked in the political arena across the administration of elections and referendums, through to the regulation of political and campaigning finance rules.
I am an experienced public sector lawyer and the joint editor and author of Schofield’s on Election law.
Electoral, referendum and campaigning finance laws have complexities, for both online and offline activities. There can inter-action with data protection, advertising, lobbying, charity and public law. Cross-border activity also impacts on the rules that are applicable.
My focus is to bring experience and knowledge, enabling sound practical ways forward. That can be towards the achievement of strategies or in response to issues arising.
- Developing and advocating policy approaches on matters related to the democratic system
- Working and briefing on electoral legislation, including the political finance rules
- Electoral Commission responsibilities for the regulation of the political and campaigning finance rules.
- Engagement with Government Ministers, politicians and their advisors, as well as with political party senior officers
- Numerous appearances before parliamentary select committees
- Part of the core lead team in the running and regulation of national referendums
- Directly administering Elections as a Returning Officer
- Being the Electoral Registration Officer
- Articles on electoral matters and media interviews
- Speaking at conferences and seminars, including internationally
- Legal advisor to the Local Government Boundary Committee for England
- Working for public local authorities at senior levels through to Chief Executive