I advise a wide range of charities, responsible businesses, commercial organisations and public bodies in relation to all aspects of commercial real estate.
I deal with acquisitions and disposals of a range of property and I draft and negotiate leases acting for both landlords and tenants. I advise a number of banks and charitable funders on the provision of loans and grants. I deal with the property aspects of mergers and acquisitions and public sector spin outs and I advise charities on property legacies. I also provide advice on technical aspects of charity property law.
- I am currently acting for Football Foundation on its new Parklife Project This is a multi-million pound fund put together by the Football Association, the Premier League and Sport England and administered and distributed by the Football Foundation, aimed at developing football hubs in the most deprived areas of the country. I am working closely with the Football Foundation on all aspects of the individual grant transactions including drafting and negotiating the funding agreements, the complex leasehold documentation and the security for the grants and liaising with the local authorities, the local football trusts and the commercial operators.
- I recently advised a charity on the settlement of a potentially crippling pension debt in exchange for the transfer of a freehold property owned by the charity. I advised the charity on its Charities Act 2011 obligations as well as negotiating with the pension fund to ensure that the complex pension and property documents were compliant and in the best interests of the charity. Overall I acted as a trusted advisor and supported the client through a sensitive transaction to secure the future of the charity. Particular experience in complex transitions means that I can provide valuable reassurance to trustees in the steps they take.
- I advised the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames and the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames On the transfer of all of its children’s services to Achieving for Children, an award winning social enterprise delivering a full range of children’s and school improvement services.
- I worked closely with Achieving for Children to facilitate the acquisition of a range of services and property assets from Kingston and Richmond Councils whilst ensuring continuity of outstanding service provision. This involved the negotiation of over 40 leases and licences over a period of five years, dealing extensively with the Land Registry and HMRC.
- I advised Terrence Higgins Trust on the sale of its London head office;
- I advised the Royal College of Nursing on its national property portfolio;
- I advised the Football Foundation, the Rugby Football Foundation, the Rugby Football Union and the Lawn Tennis Association in relation to grant and loan funding and securitisation;
- I advise a number of banks on the property due diligence and security aspects of lending and refinancing;
- I advise a number of charities and community interest companies including music services, children’s services, adult education and arts and heritage organisations on the property aspects of spinning out services from a local authority relating to a large number of different properties;
- I have advised on a number of mergers of charities with varying legal structures;
- I advise a range of charities in relation to technical aspects of charity property law.