I am Head of Bates Wells’ Dispute Resolution Team. I help commercial organisations, charities, regulatory bodies, and individuals avoid and resolve disputes in a commercially sensitive and pragmatic way.
Mindful of reputational, cost and other relevant considerations, my team and I work closely with our clients to resolve many disputes before proceedings are commenced at Court. But I also represent clients robustly before the High Court, County Court and Higher Courts, in Arbitrations, Adjudications, and other dispute resolution forums, including Mediation. I am also regularly appointed by the Court as a Supervising Solicitor.
Recent articles and insights
- Intellectual Property Claims I successfully bring and defend claims for injunctions and awards of damages and legal costs in trade mark, passing off, copyright infringement and other intellectual property claims, including for membership bodies, Awarding Organisations and commercial businesses. I regularly advise on reputational and related issues.
- Governance, Membership and Shareholder Disputes I advise the boards and members / shareholders of many organisations in relation to internal governance and external disputes, and advise on partnership and other owner / shareholder disputes.
- Investigations I help guide organisations needing to undertake sensitive investigations through the whole process, including dealing with historic personal injury and other claims.
- Contract and Grant Disputes I regularly advise on a wide variety of commercial contractual disputes, grant and other funding related disputes.
- Director Disqualification Proceedings I have acted in the successful defence of a number of directors and trustees in high profile DDQ proceedings in the High Court.
- Construction Disputes and Procurement Challenges I advised a well-known construction company (and other clients) on a number of high value High Court claims against local authorities for breaches of procurement regulations, resulting in disqualified clients being permitted to tender, substantial settlement damages payments for our client and/or the procurements being re-run and have acted on numerous construction related disputes, including in adjudications and arbitrations.
- Fraud and Asset recovery I obtain and advise on disputes involving injunctive relief, search and asset freezing orders, delivery up and evidence preservation orders.
- Contested trusts, probate and legacy disputes I help resolve legacy disputes which have involved complex intellectual property rights issues, shares in private companies and other challenges to Wills.
- I help numerous charities and other organisations deal with a range of challenges with regulatory bodies such as the Charity Commission.
- I advise on a range of enforcement options and how best to enforce legal rights.