I had a previous life as a private client lawyer before joining Bates Wells in March 2018 as part of the Charity & Social Enterprise department to advise organisations and individuals on all things charitable.
My practice is wide and covers the full range of charity governance matters with a particular specialism in trusts and permanent endowment; faith-based organisations; and charity legacies as part of the Legacies team.
- Managing a statutory inquiry I acted for the trustees of a charity that was subject to a statutory inquiry and appointment of an interim manager, helping the trustees to navigate a difficult situation and on their behalf liaising and corresponding directly with the Charity Commission, interim manager, and various other regulators and stakeholders.
- Victorian school trusts I advised the trustees of a church school on the oddities of a particular piece of Victorian legislation (School Sites Act 1841) that requires them to walk a careful line while they manage the move from their existing land to a new school site.
- Releasing permanent endowment I advised a parochial church council on the terms of a permanent endowment they had received as a legacy decades ago, and successfully obtained Charity Commission consent to a section 282 resolution to release the restriction, freeing up much needed capital to allow the church to start an exciting building project.
- I advised a charitable residuary beneficiary under a will in challenging actions of an executor
- I advised a large donor-advised fund on an international grant to an NGO
- I have advised a local community group on challenging a trustee’s application to the Charity Commission for a scheme to dispose of charitable property
- I advised a grant-making charitable trust on the scope of its charitable objects and the benefits of restructuring as a CIO
- I have advised an unincorporated association on a complex incorporation as a charitable company limited by guarantee and merger involving ten associated and subsidiary entities
- I offer trusts law advice including establishment of charitable trusts, amending trust deed and advice on trustee issues
- I advise on Cy-près schemes
- I have assisted clients with Ex gratia payments