I’m an associate in our Charity and Social Enterprise department.
I’m proud to have a very broad practice – working with colleagues to help charities and similar organisations to function effectively, and to achieve their aims for the good of society.
- I have expertise in constitutional reviews and advice, for social purpose organisations – whether they are structured as a company, a charitable trust (governed by trust deed or Scheme), an unincorporated association, a statutory corporation (governed by Act of Parliament), or a Royal Charter body.
- I regularly assist with governance issues, including trustee duties, Charity Commission guidance, and the Charity Governance Code.
- I advise on pure charity law issues, such as novel or complex charity applications, private benefit restrictions and conflicts of interest.
- I advise regularly on information law, including GDPR compliance and “direct marketing” rules as they apply to the fundraising and advocacy efforts of non-profits.
- I advise on election law and the regulation of campaigning activities by charities and similar organisations;
- I advise on complex trust and charity law issues, including designated and restricted funds, special trusts, and identifying and releasing permanent endowment.
- I am involved in “transactional” work, such as mergers and restructurings.
- I also advise on grant-funding and contractual arrangements.
As well as providing written advice, I regularly provide training on, and speak and write in these areas.