Lindsay is a Senior Associate in the Corporate Commercial Department, specialising in UK and EU competition law. She advises on all aspects of competition law from anti-competitive agreements and abuses of dominance to merger control and EU State aid. Lindsay also covers the commercial aspects of other EU-based laws such as privacy, data protection and export controls. She particularly enjoys delivering compliance training ‘at the coal face’ to clients. Lindsay qualified at international law firm Simmons & Simmons in 2000. She subsequently worked as a senior legal adviser for a sectoral regulator and went on to join the top-ranking Competition Group at Slaughter and May. Lindsay assists clients from all sectors of the economy but also has, unusually, an in-depth understanding of the UK health and social care sector.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising an educational awarding organisation on exclusive terms in commercial agreements.
- Advising a major pan-European white goods manufacturer on non-compete terms.
- Advising UK companies on competition due diligence and UK merger control issues in acquisitions.
- Advising a UK professional body on compliance with the new EU data protection regime.
- Advising a UK technology innovation centre on the EU competition rules re technology transfer and exemptions.
- Advising a UK F&B trade association on rules of membership and compliance with competition law.
- Advising a social enterprise active in drug rehabilitation on local government funding and compliance with EU State aid.
- Advising a consortium of healthcare consultants on compliance with the CMA Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order.
- Advising NHS Trusts on bid-rigging, market sharing and information exchange under competition law and sectoral regulation.
- Delivering nationwide-wide competition compliance training for a FTSE250 construction company.
- Advising a world renowned UK university on its multi-million pound application for ERDF funding to upgrade an existing scientific research facility. This required EU State aid, capital investment and net revenue generation compliance assessments, in particular the application of the R&D&I block exemption for compatible R&D projects and special treatment afforded to research institutions.
- Advising a UK Government department on EU State aid compliant structures for an underfunded financial market and, in particular, the application of the block exemptions for investment aid, aid with a social character and aid to SMEs.
- Advising a UK tourism authority on numerous applications for central and non-central Government funding, including GLA grant and loan funding. Very recent advice for this client has considered both EU State aid and public procurement compliance in respect of the receipt of a GLA grant and associated service contract to manage a multi-party tourist service.
- Advising a CIC on its development of a multi-use commercial and residential site in south east London with consideration of aid for SMEs and culture and heritage conservation.
Qualifications and Career
- St John’s College, Oxford University. MA Modern Languages 1996
- Trained and qualified at Simmons & Simmons (2000)
- Associate, Hogan Lovells
- Senior Legal Adviser to Ofwat
- Senior PSL at Slaughter and May
- Senior Associate at Hempsons
- Joined BWB, March 2017
Pro Bono, Memberships and Appointments
- Law Society Competition Section
- Trustee of the Mudchute Association, a charity dedicated to conservation, education and animal welfare at extensive park facilities in east London.