I am a Senior Associate in the Corporate Commercial Department, specialising in UK competition law (and EU competition law where relevant to the post-Brexit landscape).
I advise on all aspects of competition law from anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance to merger control, UK subsidy control (replacing the EU state aid regime) and related sectoral regulation. I also cover the commercial aspects of other EU-retained laws such package travel and export controls. I particularly enjoy delivering competition compliance training ‘at the coal face’ to clients.
I qualified as a competition lawyer at international law firm Simmons & Simmons in 2000. I subsequently worked at other international competition practices including the top-ranking Competition Group at Slaughter and May as well as for a sectoral regulator.
I assist clients from all sectors of the economy but have, unusually, an in-depth understanding of the UK health and social care sector.
- I advised applicants for Government COVID-related funding in the arts and cultural sector on handling information requirements under the UK’s new subsidy control regime.
- I advised a trade association in the financial services sector on competition compliance in relation to objective initiatives to support its members (who comprise leading participants in the sector).
- I advised a standard-setting body in the renewable energy sector on the licensing of proprietary IP in the context of competition law.
- I advised a provider of renewable energy on anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance in relation to shareholder activism.
- I advised a religious charity on the cross-over of Government funding from assessment under the EU state aid regime to the UK’s subsidy control regime and is potential benefits.
- I advised a standard-setting body for sustainable metal production on competition law compliant information exchange.
- I advised a leading data science research institution on the EU/UK export control regime for dual-use goods as part of its risk assessment procedures.
- I advised a technology innovation centre on the EU/UK competition rules re technology transfer and exemptions.
- I advised a world-renowned UK university on its multi-million pound application for ERDF funding to upgrade an existing scientific research facility.
- I advised a housing and regional development charity on its application for local authority funding and related EU state aid requirements.
- I advised a central UK Government department on EU State aid compliant structures for an underfunded financial market, considering rules for social, investment and SME-designated aid.
- I delivered competition law compliance training sessions for the Board and members of a trade association in the leisure sector.
- I advised a specialist health care provider to the NHS on public procurement and behavioural competition law matters.