We are experts in construction disputes, including contractual disputes and negligence claims.
We represent all manner of parties including developers, employers, contractors and professional consultants like architects, engineers and surveyors.
We have advised on industry standard agreements, including traditional construction-only contracts, and construction management to design and build, as well as bespoke arrangements.
We can assist with all issues that may arise under a construction contract, whether through negotiation, adjudication, mediation, arbitration, or at court, including (but not limited to) claims for:
- losses when works overrun;
- the costs of extra work;
- quantum meruit (claims for a fair sum for the work done);
- poor or defective work;
- liquidated damages;
- breach of contract; and
At the other end of the process, we have acted on many high-value procurement disputes, including in relation to bid evaluations, ITTs and tender returns, public procurement procedures and state aid rules.
Some of our contentious construction work includes:
- Successfully defending adjudication proceedings brought by a large design company against major construction company over dispute worth circa £100m in respect of major public realm works.
- Bringing claims for breach of contract and in negligence against principal designers and main contractors in respect of air conditioning and related fit out works.
- Successfully bringing proceedings for a well-known construction company on a number of high value claims against local authorities for breaches of procurement regulations, resulting in substantial settlement payments for our client and/or the procurements being re-run.
- Advising a well-known charity on a number of disputes with its contractor during the course of a construction project under a JCT Design and Build Contract.
- Acting for the employer on a development of residential units in an adjudication concerning construction defects and release of retention monies.
- Acting in adjudication proceedings regarding a dispute concerning supermarket racking construction.
- Advising a construction client on the range of enforcement options and how best to enforce legal rights.