- The Charity Commission has recently updated its guidance on reporting serious incidents. Rosamund McCarthy and Rebecca Bruce summarise the key aspects of the new guidance.
- Since January 2018 it has been possible for charitable companies to convert to charitable organisations. Alice Railton outlines the pros and cons of conversion.
- If you thought trekking up Mount Kilimanjaro was hard, try dealing with the legal, regulatory and tax issues that can arise when charities get involved with challenge events. Victoria Schneider discusses her top tips for charities thinking about challenge events.
- In September 2017, the Institute of Fundraising (IoF) launched a new Certification Programme for public fundraising across the UK. Daniel Fluskey, Head of Policy and Research at the IoF explains more.
- Income from legacies now represents a quarter of the total amount given to charities each year, and is predicted to rise. Leticia Jennings reviews the current issues in charity legacies.
- Charities and social enterprises need to ensure that data on employees, as well as their beneficiaries and supporters is held in line with GDPR. Paul Seath and Damian Ward outline the key issues for employers.
- Charities may be deterred from pursuing judicial review proceedings by the costs involved. Emma Dowden-Teal and Francesca Gage explain how crowdfunding can provide a solution.
- We announce our new Charity Hub, aiming to be opened May 2018.
- South West Heritage Trust is featured as the client focus for this edition.
- The Law Commission has published a detailed report recommending changes to technical areas of charity law. Lucy Rhodes and Jamie Huard summarise the proposals.
- Charities are not immune to the increasing counterfeiting trend. Catharina Waller explains how charities can best protect themselves.
- Mindy Jhittay explains how to prevent property fraud, and how to recover funds lost to fraud.
- Charities and social enterprises involved in joint bids for government funding need to be alert to the constraints of competition law. Lindsay Draffan outlines the risks.
- In November 2017 a package of new tax reliefs was introduced to encourage investment in sport. Thea Longely and Bill Lewis explain the details of tax reliefs – and the small print.
- The recent BoardSource Leadership Conference explored strategies for healthy governance. Tesse Akpeki shares eight lessons from the conference.
- Claudia Burger and Katie Barnes explain the importance of embedding impact in the governance process.
- Emma Knuckey and Caroline van den Bergh report on recent developments at the Charity Commission and in the Charity Tribunal.
Please click here to download the PDF version of this update.
This information is necessarily of a general nature and doesn’t constitute legal advice. This is not a substitute for formal legal advice, given in the context of full information under an engagement with Bates Wells.
All content on this page is correct as of February 20, 2018.